Bench-to-Bedside: Improving the Feedback Loop
Translational research is making large strides in developing and improving effective agents and therapeutic strategies for patients. Despite these advances, bench-to-bedside and then back to bench science is often hindered by poor data management practices, error-prone manual workflows, and a lack of shared spaces where scientists and clinicians can easily collaborate.
In order to be effective in today’s data-rich research environment, teams need effective software tools to help facilitate the feedback loop between the bench and the bedside. LabKey Server provides essential tools to overcome key bench-to-bedside challenges, including:
Maintenance of Good Research Records
Maintenance of good laboratory records is vital for any research and improves repeatability and reproducibility in experiments. In translational research, this ultimately leads to improved product development, bringing better treatments from bench to bedside faster.
LabKey Server helps teams maintain good research records by providing:
- The ability to upload raw assay data and assign metadata, allowing experimental data to be traced back to the original experiment
- Built-in quality control tools that allow scientists to upload their data and examine it for erroneous values
- A file watcher that automatically loads new data into a new or existing dataset as it becomes available, reducing human interaction and error, and freeing up time for scientists to focus on the science
- Compliance tools for signing off on records, ensuring data is reviewed
Comprehensive Data Integration
In order to examine the subject comprehensively during treatment, many scientists and clinicians must compile data from multiple sources. This is often time-consuming and slows down research to find better curative agents and therapies.
LabKey Server helps facilitate comprehensive data integration by providing:
- A compliant study environment with tools that simplify the integration of clinic and research data
- Automated methods for integrating data from a variety of sources (Flow Cytometry, Luminex, data from Electronic Data Capture systems, etc.)
- Simplified methods for collecting ad-hoc results
- Tools for comparing subjects across multiple studies
Collaborative Data Sharing
Sharing data with collaborators improves research, innovation, and ultimately the production of new therapies to help patients. While collaborative data sharing provides significant value in research, hurdles like institutional firewalls and outdated data-sharing methods, like bulky emails and insecure websites, often hinder collaboration in the scientific community.
LabKey Server helps teams collaborate securely by providing:
- Web-based access to a central platform for data sharing
- A compliant environment with multi-level permissions, so data sharing is secure
- The ability to remove PHI fields or randomize IDs when sharing information with collaborators
With the right tools, teams can significantly accelerate the pace of translational research. Sign-up for a free trial to see how LabKey Server can help your team overcome these, and other common research challenges.