About the role:
As a Technical Program Manager (TPM) at LabKey Software, you will help scientists attack some of the most challenging problems in the world. You will work with our team and customers to understand requirements, design solutions, and ensure a high-quality product at all points during the software development lifecycle. You will enjoy small, collaborative teams, significant autonomy, client interaction, and hands-on product implementation and improvement. You are passionate about helping researchers use and adopt outstanding software solutions to assist in public health research and cutting-edge drug-discovery. You are extremely technical and able to write detailed specs, you will enjoy full ownership of certain aspects of the product. You bring a user-centered approach to Program Management with the emphasis on client satisfaction.
What you will do:
- Work directly with developers to build, refine, and deliver completed features to clients within established deadlines and budgets
- Write functional specifications describing desired features and iterate with developers to design creative and practical solutions
- Contribute to the continual improvement of the user experience through constructive feedback, user observation, and business requirement gathering
- Manage products to adjust and incorporate current client features in development to overall company product and platform direction and strategy
- Communicate clearly and consistently with stakeholders on an ongoing basis including discussing technical concepts with non-technical stakeholders
- Demonstrate genuine interest in contributing to and building a great product and outstanding product development team
- In cooperation with other team members, help bring best practices, improve existing processes and improve efficiency
- Demonstrate the balance between client needs, meeting deadlines, and commitment to the internal LabKey team with a generous and non-aggressive approach
- Attend daily stand-ups, drive scrum process, and iterate/improve best practices for software development
Who you are:
- This is a client facing position – must genuinely enjoy working with a diverse group of people with multi-disciplinary scientific backgrounds and an international scope
- Must have good interpersonal and communications skills; able to work effectively with a variety of people in a diverse workforce, including senior leadership and team leads; adaptable to changing work requirements; willing to multi-task; high degree of professional integrity; strong client service orientation
- Experience writing technical specifications from developers to developers
- Experience with doing back-end technical design
- Experience with customer feedback and customer support systems
- Commitment to the Agile Software Development process; experience with SCRUM, Kanban or other agile methodology
- 5+ years experience in the software industry
- Experience as a software developer preferred
- Strong project/program management background, unparalleled communication skills, a sense of humor and an ability to work with developers, testers, clients, managers to make the best decisions.
- Ability to design processes and methodology to build a repeatable and consistent and painless release framework that will help the team
- Ability to handle ambiguity effectively, with grace and handle multiple projects at once.
- Experienced in dealing with direct user feedback and an understanding at the end of the feature on time and on budget
- Ability to rapidly understand and translate clients’ scientific and data management challenges and concerns into solution-oriented discussions and action items
- Ability to constantly balance priorities to determine which tasks/deliverables are most critical
- Understand the impact of UI on the product and the perception of the product, contribute to the continual improvement of the UI through constructive feedback and business requirement gathering
- BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of education and experience
- You are an advocate for our clients, our mission and our culture. You want to contribute to products that help scientists solve some of the most pressing problems impacting human health.
LabKey is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and members of the LGTBQIA communities invited to apply. No recruiters please.