LabKey is looking for a Software Developer to join our Seattle, WA team.
LabKey provides data management solutions to help research organizations pair the flexibility of a custom solution with enterprise-level scalability to support scientific workflows. LabKey helps scientists tackle some of today’s most challenging problems by delivering outstanding software solutions to support scientific research e.g., public health research, vaccine and therapeutic development, and disease pathogenesis. At LabKey you enjoy a unique work environment, autonomy, client interaction, and the opportunity for hands-on product implementation and improvement experience!
About the Developer Role
This role will build great server-side APIs and data models, using Java and relational databases, to support React-based web applications. These APIs will not only support the products we’re building but will be useful tools for scientists to interact with directly.
LabKey Developers are technical leaders and direct individual contributors that bring the versatility and talent to help solve the complex high-stake issues scientists are taking every day. Our developers directly impact our clients by rapidly delivering on product roadmaps for innovation and integration across a range of platforms. LabKey Developers are highly skilled at working with cross-functional teams and collaborating with a diverse group of interdisciplinary experts to advance client goals.
- Design server-side APIs and data models in Java to service our web applications and users directly
- Produce clean architectural designs, and new architectures and designs that integrate existing features
- Deliver technical writing (e.g., specs. and outline req.’s that effectively conveys information
- Work with and compose SQL to efficiently query data
- Work directly with front end frameworks
- Collaborate within the product team as well as with cross-functional teams
- Adept at working with existing source code, following client-side code and internal codebase
- Establish test boundaries and compose unit and integration tests for features
- Comfortable configuring and serializing data in multiple languages
- Work on cross-functional teams to deliver incremental improvements and quality products
- Partner internally and with clients to troubleshoot, upgrade features and integrate software components
- Deliver accurate needs assessments necessary to facilitate informed implementation decisions
- Manage multiple complex projects and balance competing priorities
- Consistent and effective delivery of incremental, positive results both daily and sprint to sprint
- Demonstrate follow-through and ability to work autonomously
- Support progress with initiative-taking, consistent updates, and transparent communication
- Mentor and provide guidance to junior team members
- Open to giving and receiving feedback, and asking questions to support growth and development
- Interest in self-directed learning and developing full stack skills
Education & Experience
- Degree from an accredited institution
- In lieu of a degree, a combination of knowledge, skills, abilities & work experience reflecting job qualifications is required
- Minimum of three years of experience with full stack development (languages, design, API, client-server model)
- Minimum of three years of experience working with teams to manage multiple projects and/or complex projects, and cross-functionally with client-side and internal departments
- Experience with software development life cycle (SDLC)
- Experience working directly with front end frameworks and front-end developers
- Experience working in larger systems
- Demonstrated working knowledge of Agile, Kanban, Lean software development tools, principles, methodologies, and delivering incremental improvement
- Familiar with principles of object-oriented design
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Familiar with Web API, REST, RESTful
- Knowledge of Java-based, server-side web technologies
- Familiarity with WebSocket API
- Working knowledge of front-end frameworks (React, Angular, and VueJS)
- Familiar with debugging tools
- Familiar with Bioinformatics (e.g., protein expression, ontologies, lab experience)
- Proficient in Git version control
- Skilled in CI and CD processes
- Excellent data analysis techniques and technical troubleshooting abilities
- Able to demonstrate follow through and meet deadlines
- Proficiency throughout the SDLC, e.g., coding, debugging, and troubleshooting
- Excellent technical writing skills
Communication & Collaboration
- Ability to communicate with internal and external stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Ability to convey complex ideas with clarity.
- Proficient with business software (e.g., MS Office, G-Suite, Zoom, open-source, and equivalents).
- Competitive Pay
- Great Work Environment, and Flexibility
- Paid Time Off to Volunteer
- Remote Work Options
- Retirement planning and 401(k)
- Bonus opportunity
- Stock Option Grants
- Orca Transit Pass
- LabKey pays 90% of Medical, Dental, & Vision
LabKey is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants receive consideration, and all decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. If you require assistance, or an alternative method for application and/or screening for an open position due to a disability please submit a request directly to LabKey